The Black Market is a location filled with interesting characters, some of which came from elsewhere outside of the comic. This makes sense, due to how we know the Market works. Some of these characters belong to Modmad, some belong to prominent fandom members or fan-characters, and some are OCs inserted as a thank-you for a Patreon subscription.
Here are some of the known characters, their creators, as well as some information on them.
Characters by Modmad Edit
ɹnoℲ EditɹnoℲ is a character designed by Mod originally for a game concept called "Nursery", inspired by the likes of "ib" and "OFF". The game would be about the titular nursery which fell down a rift into Hell, whereby the toys became possessed but remember their lives as toys, and simply wish to go home.
ɹnoℲ is a cryptic rocking horse with 4 different personalities, each of which gives different advice to the player. To move, they typically roll backwards, but may roll forwards at the risk of stabbing someone with their ears.
They cameo on the bottom of page 198, in Chapter 11.
Pitch EditOf the many cameos of characters not native to the comic, Pitch is unique in the nature of his appearance there. He is the character used as the example of what happens when a resident runs out of inspiration, and fades away into memory.
Pitch was originally intended to be the second main character of a short film of the same name, revolving around an artist and his creation. He was originally designed to be all black, in the style of Mickey Mouse or Oswald the Rabbit, but as the design changed he kept the basic minimalism.
Mod has stated he was used for an example because he truly was a character who had run out of inspiration, and she had let go of because of life and in order to keep working on other things.
Pitch appeared on pages 207-209.
Rabbitfoot EditRabbitfoot first appeared on Mod's tumblr, along with an apology. We know very little about her, other than that the creepiness of the end result was not originally intended, and one must never follow this white rabbit.
She cameos on page 194, in Chapter 11.
Caper was originally designed for an artist prompt "Centaur day", as a scarecrow who had to rebuild her lower half from farm scrap that was to hand, living inside of an old windmill with companions. She appears briefly in the Market on page 235.
Market Guardians Edit
The two "acting guardians" of the Market, a horse and a bird creature who oversee RGB's "trial" when they confront Click about the damage he'd caused. The two were first drawn in a post from 2014, and make an appearance in the comic on page 284. These two do not have a story of their own it seems, and may not be a "cameo" so much as a "canon" set of characters. Their color scheme and positioning is meant to invoke the pillars of the High Priestess tarot card.
Lilith (who prefers to go by the name "Lily"), is a demon creature who first appeared in a sketch of the (most likely) cut location The Caves of Introspection, originally meant to be a one-off "rando" who turned out slightly more developed than intended. She is friends with another of Mod's characters, Omen, and blood demon Rococoa.
Unnamed polaroid-head Edit
A character designed originally for the purpose of giving the audience updates on the wellbeing of Assok from time to time, during their stay in the market, taking pictures of them in and around various locations. They first appear on page 294, and can be seen shaking hands with Hero on page 299. They also take a snapshot of Magnus as he leaves for the rest of the Market on page 301.
Unnamed heely-wheely-dealie critter Edit
A springy-necked friend with bauble-ended antennas who first appeared on mod's blog, in a short gag comic involving RGB escaping the escalating Click situation, drawn for his birthday. In it, RGB trades his bow tie (which the creature is seen wearing on top of its head) for the antennas, which he reworks into his shoes to function as a pair of Heelys, allowing him to abscond backwards.
They made their canonical debut on page page 294.
Characters by other creators Edit
"Mr R" (Aratgn'kN'AkgG) Edit
Mr R was the first character cameo featured in The Property of Hate, aside from Madras. To date, he is also the only such cameo to be featured outside of The Black Market. He appears on page 61 of the comic, traveling the opposite direction of our protagonists and greeting them as he passed. He was created by tumblr user becdecorbin.
Romi EditRomi is a lightbulb object-head created by tumblr user doorstoplord. The bulb filament can change to show facial expressions. She is from Brooklyn, insofar as object heads can be.
Cade is a headphone-and-antlers based object head created by tumblr user maplerays. They cameo on page 204.
Skeleton Deer Edit
This unnamed six-legged creature is another creation of tumblr user maplerays, appearing prominently in the foreground of page 206.
The Librarian Edit
A very small, rainbow-flame-haired character created by tumblr user doorstoplord, and appearing at the end of page 206.
Viktor Kovalik Edit
Viktor is an emotions surgeon, and creation of tumblr user potentialforart.
He appears in the middle of page 268, in Chapter 14.
Faustus Klavier Edit
Characters from other stories Edit
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/70516731355/more-random-doodles-that-i-shouldnt-be-doing-if
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/79100346821/say-hello-to-%C9%B9no%E2%85%8E-and-%C9%B9no%E2%85%8E-and-%C9%B9no%E2%85%8E-and-%C9%B9no%E2%85%8E
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/79252957001/which-way-is-four-supposed-to-move-was-wondering
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/137006273655/tpoh-update
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/32356584312/and-this-is-the-second-character-of-pitch
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/32350255428/so-the-film-im-working-on-is-going-to-be-called
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/33539734827/there-is-nobody-more-critical-of-a-characters
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/28496672876/finished-my-work-for-the-morning-so-heres-some
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/137016882060/stop-making-me-feel-bad-for-lost-ideas-tt-i
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/128194952630/i-felt-like-messing-about-and-then-this-happened-i
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/tagged/caper/chrono
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/87233788470/sofa-doodles-on-half-a-braincell-because-good
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/160769635840/the-caves-of-introspection-are-a-place-in-tpoh
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/161966770595/this-is-rococoa-shes-a-little-blood-demon-whos
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/160912627050/happy-birthday-rgb-enjoy-your-get-out-of-jail-free
- ↑ https://zeydarchist.deviantart.com/art/completed-objecthead-sonas-534224739
- ↑ http://doorstoplord.tumblr.com/tagged/romi/chrono
- ↑ http://doorstoplord.tumblr.com/post/126191444748/i-need-to-draw-these-nerds-more
- ↑ http://doorstoplord.tumblr.com/post/128526674438/whoooo-is-this
- ↑ https://fablegate.tumblr.com/tagged/Abell
- ↑ http://rusharound.tumblr.com/tagged/faustus/chrono
- ↑ http://rusharound.tumblr.com/tagged/Faustus-Klavier/chrono