The Property of Hate is filled with more puns and references than you can shake a cane at. Here, we have an attempt at compiling the known ones!
Chapter 1: The Hook Edit
- RGB's outfit here is influenced by the animation "Yellow Submarine"
- On page 2, RGB uses the phrase "spit-spot", the same term having been used by Mary Poppins.
- Pages 5 and 6 have our protagonists climbing a smokestack stairway up into the clouds. Hero mentions she "saw this in a movie once". This visual is another shout-out to Mary Poppins.
- In pages 8-10, the symbols above the doorways are alchemical symbols.
- On page 11, Hero stands on a yellow road. A likely Wizard of Oz reference.
Chapter 2: Rushes Edit
- Page 28 shows a very literal example of nearly being "rooted by fear".
Chapter 3: Soft Focus Edit
- One page 40, RGB identified the place where he and Hero rested in The Hook/Rushes to be called "The Pool of Tears", which is the same name as a location in Alice in Wonderland.
- The text on the books in pages 50-58 is from The Wizard of Oz (it is however, Mod's desire to remove the text at some point)
Chapter 4: Diegesis Edit
- The cartoon Hero watches in pages 70-71 is Danger Mouse
- RGB's nightmare of a film shoot gone wrong, particularly page 74, is based off of a particular Buster Keaton stunt
Chapter 5: Suture Edit
- The color scheme of RGB's outfit here is a nod to the 5th Doctor
- The shows which Hero flicks through on RGB's screen include many references, including:
- "And now for something completely different" from Monty Python
- "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" from the 1939 film Gone with the Wind
Chapter 6: Negative Edit
Chapter 7: P.O.V. Edit
- The song that our wearied Hero sings to herself is "I'm going to go back there someday", from The Muppet Movie.
- Another Yellow Submarine inspired color palette for RGB
Chapter 8: Beat Edit
Chapter 9: Triple-Threat Edit
Chapter 10: Pitch Edit
Chapter 11: Ensemble Edit
- Page 203 is a slightly new take on a "mic drop"
Chapter 12: Wardrobe Edit
- On page 213 and 215, the characters Tinker and Tailor refers to the film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. This is also supported by the owl and toy soldier in pages 194 and 196 in Chapter 11: Ensemble
Chapter 13: Hoofers Edit
- Page 228 (the first in the chapter) has Tinker hanging up what appears to be Roxy Lalonde's scarf on the far right.
- RGB's dream sequence is chock full of these. Every "death" is in fact a stunt from a classic black and white silent film gone horribly wrong
- Page 248 has, in order, shout-outs to "Safety Last" (Harold Lloyd, 1923), "Modern Times" (Charlie Chaplain, 1936), "Sherlock Jr" (Buster Keaton, 1924)
- Page 249 has two more Keaton nods, "One Week" (1920) and "The General" (1926)
Chapter 14: Click Edit
Chapter 15: Target Audience Edit
- The title is a marketing term, defining what group a brand is meant to be for. It also refers to Click's current state as a loose cannon, the audience here, RGB and Hero, quite literally targeted in his sights.
- One page 280, Click demonstrates his "Headcannon" abilities.
- The Market Guardians who first appear on page 284 specifically have the color scheme and placement of the pillars on the "High Priestess" tarot card.
Chapter 16: Ex Position Edit
- There are at least three puns in this title. One, "exposition" a story term for a type of information delivery, "ex position", as in "Click, formerly, was standing here", and "ex position", as in the type of "ex" you have after a breakup, who is currently standing here and may have some specific stance on the situation.
- Another Wizard of Oz reference is made with Click's dying line on page 297: "I'll get you, my pretty... And your little dog, too," originally spoken by the Wicked Witch of the West, who (perhaps not so) coincidentally, was killed similarly with water.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/87288794240/i-knew-rgbs-current-outfit-reminded-me-of
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/47107828826/tpoh-update
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/81679348766/submitting-on-the-off-chance-that-tumblr-devours
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/145622164705/question-to-the-tpoh-fandom
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/144748517760/was-there-any-significance-to-the-design-of-that
- ↑ http://rusharound.tumblr.com/post/150990939513/lonelydragoness-rusharound-rusharound#notes
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/159367945860/really-head-canon-really
- ↑ http://modmad.tumblr.com/post/163800833175/i-might-be-way-off-but-since-i-know-you-hide-tarot